Paramount+ today is adding a new feature that will provide curated linear channels built around themes like kids and family, reality TV and Star Trek.
Live Channels, which takes a queue from Pluto TV, ViacomCBS’s ad-supported streaming service, is available today for all paid Paramount+ subscribers.
“Even in the era of on-demand, there is clearly a strong consumer appetite for reimagined linear channels that provide effortless, lean-back entertainment,” said Tom Ryan, president and CEO at ViacomCBS Streaming, in a statement. “Inspired and informed by the winning model Pluto TV pioneered and popularized, these highly curated channels underscore the power of our unified streaming organization and serve as a product differentiator in the SVOD space, by offering subscribers yet another way to experience and discover programming on Paramount+.”
According to Variety, there won't be ads on the channels for either Paramount+ Premium (ad-free) or Essentials (ad-supported) subscribers, though the company may eventually introduce ads.
"Based on engagement and activity, we may introduce ads to the Essential Tier in the future, but there are no immediate plans," a ViacomCBS spokesperson confirmed to FierceVideo.
The first group of channels launching today includes:
• 24/7 Laughs, featuring series including HOT IN CLEVELAND, RENO 911 and TOSH.O
• Adult Animation, featuring series including BEAVIS AND BUTT-HEAD, CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH and DARIA
• All Day Drama, featuring series including EVIL, THE TWILIGHT ZONE, TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL and THE GUARDIAN
• Animation Favorites, featuring series including AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER, RUGRATS, SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS and THE FAIRLY ODDPARENTS
• Black Voices, featuring series including CHAPPELLE’S SHOW, KEY & PEELE, THE GAME and THE NEIGHBORHOOD
• Crime & Justice, featuring series including BULL, BLUE BLOODS, CSI: MIAMI, MACGYVER, SEAL TEAM and THE GOOD WIFE
• History & Undiscovered, featuring series including SACRED SITES, SECRETS, AMERICA’S HIDDEN STORIES and SECRETS UNLOCKED
• Kids & Family Fun, featuring series including HENRY DANGER, iCARLY, THE THUNDERMANS and ZOEY 101
• Nostalgic Hits, featuring series including BEVERLY HILLS 90210, CHEERS, FRASIER, SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH and WINGS
• PAW Patrol, featuring content including PAW PATROL: LIVE AT HOME!, PAW PATROL: THE MOVIE and the original series
• Preschool Corner, featuring series including BLUE’S CLUES, BUBBLE GUPPIES, DORA THE EXPLORER, PAW PATROL and PEPPA PIG
• Reality TV: Competition, featuring series including INK MASTER, RUPAUL’S DRAG RACE and SURVIVOR
• Reality TV: Shores, featuring series including JERSEY SHORE, JERSEY SHORE FAMILY VACATION and FLORIBAMA SHORE
• SpongeBob Universe, featuring content including SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS, KAMP KORAL: SPONGEBOB’S UNDER YEARS and the SPONGEBOB movies
• Star Trek, featuring series including STAR TREK: DISCOVERY and STAR TREK: PICARD, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE and STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION.
• Survivor, featuring 40 seasons of the reality series
• The Challenge, featuring series including THE CHALLENGE and THE CHALLENGE: ALL-STARS
• TV Classics, featuring series including I LOVE LUCY, THE LOVE BOAT and THE TWILIGHT ZONE
ViacomCBS said service will continue to roll out new channels, including a Movies channel and RuPaul’s Drag Race channel later this month.
ViacomCBS saw its streaming subscriber base expand by 4.3 million during the third quarter, bringing its global total to nearly 47 million. Paramount+ was responsible for most of the additions.